Monday 25 February 2019

Hospital bag for labour


Packing your hospital is so exciting it feels like a step towards meeting your little baby. I have packed mine very early this time, as the midwife told me too. Nobody has any idea when baby's going to come but she felt like I should get a bag packed just in case. 

I had a c-section with Jackson and spent 4 days in hospital. Then a natural birth with Florence and spent under 24 hours in hospital. I am a massive believer that you should pack whatever makes you feel comfortable and don't worry about 'overpacking'. Saying that I also think that you (birth partner) should be able to carry it. Both times you are moved around a bit and its handy if you don't have 15 bags to carry around. We are taking a cabin suitcase, with wheels so that it's easy to carry and also a rucksack. 

Suitcase 
  • New pj's - Mine are super big size from primark, it is super lovely to get into clean new pjs afterwards and for me its an essential
  • Big pant, black preferably 
  • Flip flops, mainly for using after labour and for the showers
  • Make up - you don't have to take any but there are a lot of photos after the baby is born and a little make up can make me feel so much better
  • Hair Brush
  • Hair bands 
  • Towel - for you
  • Going home outfit 
  • Dirty washing bags - I didn't use it with Florence but it was handy with Jackson so I could just give Chris the bag and he could go home wash it and bring more bits back. 
  • Maternity pads
  • Breast pads - Generally your milk doesn't come in until day 3 or 4 but just in case
  • Toiletries 
    • Tooth Brush- always bring one for Chris too just in case
    • Tooth paste
    • Shower gel- sensitive one!! 
    • Shampoo and conditioner 
    • Face wash 
    • Make up remover 
    • Face cream 
    • Body cream 
    • Deodorant 
I'm going to also put the baby bits into the suitcase, making it easier. 
  • 3x baby grows 
  • 3x vests
  • Hat 
  • Blanket
  • Nappies 
  • Wipes 
  • Muslin cloths 
  • Coat - all in one
  • Teddy- we are yet to buy it but we brought the last 2 a little teddy to take to the hospital for both pictures and to tell them when they are bigger. 
Rucksack is more of a labour bag, things that would could need during labour. 
  • Notes 
  • Snacks - I didn't eat during either labours but used it afterwards. 
  • Drinks - we packed lucasad 
  • Water bottle 
  • Straws so it's easier during labour to drink
  • Cooling spray 
  • Massage oil 
  • Headphones 
  • Socks - I have never used them but people say that they sometimes get cold feet during labour
  • Phone charger 
  • Camera 
  • Camera charger 

A few things that will be thrown into the car are: 
  • baby car seat 
  • The kids presents from baby, I hope that they get to meet the baby at home but if I am in hospital for a few days they will come up to the hospital
  • My breast feeding pillow, this was really lovely for after labour as an extra pillow and to help with the feeding
Let me know if you have any other tips. 

Love Sophia xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment