Sunday 11 December 2016

Custard & Crumble Mince Pies

We were heading over to a friends for a pre-Christmas dinner and I was in charge of desserts. From the last few failed baking attempts I have had, I thought it might be a good idea to buy a pre made crumble to take with me, but I also thought that I would make some little bits too (you never know, they might be edible!). 

The first thing I wanted to try was Custard and Crumble Mince Pies from the Goodfood website. It's a nice and easy recipe that you could make with children, although Jackson is still too little so it was just me on duty.

Ingredients 
125g Unsalted Butter
185g Plain Flour
3 tbsp Golden Caster Sugar
1 Egg
180g Mincemeat
120g Pot of Custard 


Pre heat the oven to 180c.


Sieve the flour into a large bowl.


Add the chopped-up butter and a pinch of salt. It is then time to get your hands dirty and mix to a bread-crumb consistency. 


Stir in 2tbsp of the Golden Caster Sugar and then put 85g of the mixture into another bowl.


Split the egg and mix the yolk.


Then add the yolk to the large bowl, mix in and knead the pastry. 


Add more flour to your surface and roll the pastry out to about £1 thickness. Then use an 8cm cutter (I didn't have one so I used a Tommee Tippee beaker, which actually worked quite well). 


Add all the pastries to a cupcake tray. 


Add 1 tsp of custard to each and then 1 tsp of mincemeat on top of each one.


For the remaining crumble, add another tbsp of sugar and mix it into larger bread-crumbs. 


Place the crumble on top of the Mince Pies and bake in the oven for 15mins.


Leave to cool for 15mins and then enjoy!!! 



Chris and I had one after our dinner and they were really nice. The custard really helps to ensure that they are not dry. 

Love Sophia xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment